This page is for people who have come across bee-like insects in your garden, and would like to know what to do.
The first task is to identify the little critters. Our association is dedicated to honeybees, who look like the picture on the left (although they’re not always this dark). There’s more on honeybees here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_bee. Between April and July, honeybees swarm, and at this time householders can find a big cluster of honeybees stuck on a wall or hanging from a tree like a black balloon.
Perhaps your visitors are bumblebees, a slightly more primitive cousin of the honeybee. They tend to be rounder, fluffier and often noisier – see details of them here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumblebee or at this excellent site http://www.bumblebee.org. There are more bumblebee links on our links page.
Then again there are our old friends wasps, who are much brighter and yellower, and who tend to be more aggressive. Although many people don’t like them (and they are a predator to honeybees) wasps are beneficial insects in the garden, munching on aphids and the like. The ones that trouble people in Dublin are usually in this family (click here).
Once you know what you’re dealing with, then you can know who to contact. For wasps, there are plenty of pest control companies if you don’t fancy using the treatments available in DIY stores. Bumblebees should be left alone, if you can manage it. Most bumbles tend to be less defensive than honeybees or wasps. Both bumblebee and wasp nests only last until autumn – the insects are dead or hibernating by winter.
If you have unwelcome honeybees, then some of our members may be able to help:
- For bees in central or south Dublin or north Co. Wicklow, Simon on 087 240 5999 or Liam on 087 264 3492 may be able to sort you out.
- If you are in South Dublin or Wicklow, Mary may also be able to help you – she’s on 01 286 0497.
- For bees in Wicklow, try Maeve on 086 818 1819.
- For honeybees in central or North Dublin, you might contact Keith – he’s on 087 281 8759
- Kieran too will help you deal with bee visitors in North Dublin – he’s on 086 262 9934.
Any CDBKA members who would like their name added to this list should please contact the webmaster.